My favorite makeup staple is the red lip. I love it! It’s classic, yet always makes a name for itself. In my book, you can never have too many red lipsticks. I know that a lot of people are timid around a bold lip and it truly breaks my heart. If they only knew the effect it could have on their look and their confidence, I think things would change.
Anyways, I wanted to share my super easy tricks on mastering the red lip. The key is always balance. With a bold lip, you want everything else to be subtle. Think of it in fashion terms, you wouldn’t wear a halter top with a mini skirt would you? I hope not. It’s just too much at once. For my tutorial, I’ve made use of Mary Kay products (c/o) which have a soft spot in my heart. My grandma always has and always will use Mary Kay. I used to love to play in all of it and I couldn’t wait for her to get new samples! I carried those mini lipsticks everywhere! Even after moving halfway across the country, she still talks to her old representative!
1. First start with a good base. Again, try not to overdo it. I use a light bb cream with some bronzer to even things out.
2. Next, use a blush that compliments your skin and doesn’t conflict with red. I like coral tones best because it looks most natural. I’m using Mary Kay Mineral cheek color in Shy Blush.
3. One of my tricks is also to use my blush as an eyeshadow. It is a great way to coordinate the colors and to save time. I feel like it keeps the natural look for your base as well, which is important when you have a statement lip.
4. I like to use a little bit of eyeliner, just to make my eyes a little more engaged. I’m using the Mary Kay eyeliner in Steely. I like to use anything but black since I’m so pale, but I would also recommend using something lighter as to not detract attention from the lips. This is also nice to use because it guides and it’s very soft, which is a godsend if you tend to make mistakes like me! I finish off with curling my lashes and applying Mary Kay lash love in I ♥ Black. How appropriate for me, right?
5. Lastly, I add the Mary Kay creme lipstick in Really Red. It’s soft, moisturizing, and goes on smooth. And the color is spot on! It’s a really bright, vibrant red that really works for those with pink undertones! And yes, it definitely deserves the B+B Seal of Approval!
And you’re done! Don’t be afraid of red. Embrace it! I will say it does take “kissing some frogs” before finding the right tone, but once you find it, you’ll be so grateful. And wearing red doesn’t have to be difficult or high maintenance. This is a typical early workday look for me, but in all honesty, I mostly slap some red lipstick on before going to an event, and Ta Da! I’m ready! It really can be that easy! Now go have fun and let me know if you have any questions.
Are you a red convert?